Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 2 & 3

Today was "Friday" for us at Böhringer since nearly everyone was taking the actual Friday off, to make it a four day weekend.  Work was good as usual, and I make actual API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) today.  It recrystallized beautifully and slowly as it was supposed to.  I get to do a harder step on Monday, so I'm looking forward to that to be sure.  After work today I hustled home and got my things ready for a few days in Koblenz with Joe and Marc.  The train ride was absolutely beautiful through the Rhine River valley.  I would not mind taking it again and again.  They met me at the main train station in Koblenz, and we headed back to their place for some supper, a tour of the town and hanging out.  Initially our plan was to head to Köln or Frankfurt tomorrow, but those possibilities had some problems we realized, so it was decided to hang out in Koblenz for a day. 
 
We went up to the Festung today, which is a fortress that lies on a hill overlooking the whole area of Koblenz and the surroundings.  Twas nice and quite breathtaking especially after the climb up to it.  We hung out there for a while admiring the view, before heading down and walking along the Rhine.  The day was very sunny and warm, certainly a plus for sight-seeing.  When we got back into the Altstadt (old city) we decided to go for some Eis (ice cream) and went to what is supposedly the best place around, for some gelato.  That may have been the most delicious substance that I have ever eaten.  It was so intensely full of flavor that I hardly knew what to do.  It was like my tongue was being bombarded by thousands upon thousands of mangos and raspberries.  Needless to say, we were happy campers.  We headed back to their apartments after that for some supper, watching soccer, using the internet (on my own laptop, so I could get podcasts that I've been missing; I'm a pretty happy camper now) and laying about.  For the rest of the light we decided to head to a park along the Rhine, with a nice view of the hill with the Festung on it, and throw Frisbee a bit.  It was a nice end to the day.  Tomorrow we've decided to go back to Ingelheim and drop our stuff off, then explore Oberwesel, a city along the Rhine with a cool castle and other stuff to see.  After that we hope to stay in Ingelheim for the rest of the weekend.  A day pass will make this all substantially cheaper, so that will be nice.  Trains are wonderful here.  Just wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment