Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 15

Well, I write this as my heart is racing. Up until moments ago I thought that Windows had taken everything it and I have here with it down the drain. Very fortunately a simple system restore brought this box back to life. Wheeeeeewwwwwww…close call.
Other than that today was a good day. Work went by as normal with reactions to be done and lessons to be learned. After work I went with Dirk and Matthias to the Ingelheim Sommer Garten, along the Rhein to watch Portugal-Ivory Coast and have some beers. It was nice and breezy in a test with a massive projector. I enjoyed that immensely. After that I came back to the apartment and tried to do things with a stove that I’ve only dared do with an oven or rice cooker. I was quite fortunate to meet with success making some mustard, honey and curry rice, supplemented a bit differently with wurst. It was good though, and it was hot and it reminded me of cooking things back home (Who knew that honey, mustard, curry, butter and rice could be a good combination? Well, actually to be fair, my whole family does, but that is beside the point. It’s good, simple and pretty cheap and you don’t even need meat if you don’t have any around! Making it with German mustard really didn’t change the taste too much either. I’ve actually found that it works well to cook the ingredients into the rice rather than into the meat, then add meat or vegetables as I have them. I don’t have any measuring devices here but eyeballing it is working well nevertheless.) Anyway, the food was good, and the Brazil-North Korea match was interesting to watch as well. I really enjoy learning German and teaching a little English too. Dirk says he has holes in his stomach from all of the grammar and word questions that I ask him though. My first German lesson is on Friday, so I will have someone else to pester and learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment