Thursday, August 5, 2010

July 29

This morning Tamara came back from her two week vacation.  I checked my apparatus, and found some crystals, though I hope to get more.  After that, from 8:00 on I spent the rest of the day learning about what happens in the analytic department here from Nadine.  I prepared some of our samples for HPLC analysis, which was quite a bit more rigorous than the method we do for quick identification in the lab.  It is very precise, and reminded me almost exactly of how the lab in my Analytical Chemistry class went.  Things are a bit more precise and rigorous here, which stands to reason.  I think however, based on how procedures work here, that Calvin should put a little more emphasis on how information and data is recorded in lab sections.  It would go a long way in preparing us for the work world.  Analytical work is a lot different than the development work that I have been doing, and quite fun, though also a bit frustrating if you get some ornery crystals to work with, to do.  Tomorrow I get to see the production plant in the morning with Dirk, Tamara and Nadine.  Georg, who used to work by us in development works there now and is going to show us around.  Pretty much directly after that, I will leave work, head by train to Mainz then by bus to Frankfurt Hahn airport and off to Italy.  At this point I am pretty nervous about getting there and back alright, but am definitely looking forward to experiencing Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment