Friday, August 13, 2010

August 5

The current project that I am working on is to make a reference substance for another campaign.  It is a three reaction set, with yesterday being the first part.  I got my dry crystals from the drying oven today and did the second reaction.  It was rather simple, but still quite interesting, as I get to make crystals with really bright and vibrant colors.  Most all of the batches that I have done at Böhringer have been larger than I ever did in lab at Calvin, but yesterday and today have certainly been my largest, in the neighborhood of 40 grams (in O. Chem lab, in our final synthesis, we made around 5 grams of our lactone and thought that was crazy).  I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow, because we are waiting on materials to use in the third reaction.  Ideally the reaction went well though, and we will have enough to reach our final target amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment