Saturday, July 10, 2010

July 4

At church this morning we had communion.  It was the first time that I have participated since coming to Germany.  At the Burgkirche they use bread like we do, but since there is a small amount of people, we stand up at the front of the church in a circle and drink from two glasses like Pastor Bob has, but drink white wine instead of juice.  They have two goblets that are cleaned and interchanged between every couple of people.  It was Independence Day today of course, so I wore my red, white and blue polo.  I may have sung the National Anthem a couple of times in my apartment, pretending to be at the Conference Grounds for morning worship.  I took another relaxing Sunday afternoon, watching sports, napping and listening to podcasts.  This is neither here nor there, but there is a Miracle Whip commercial on TV every once in a while that features a snotty "American" kid telling a German lady that in America, we don't do it that way, referring to making home-made potato salad, and other little things like that.  It then flashes to a barbecue with the kid's dad, who is a stereotypical cowboy, hick Texan, who comments with a terrible southern accent on how good the potato salad is.  I almost cried from laughing the first time I saw it…I'll have to try and get it on video some time.  This evening I ran my normal route without incident, then watched some of Apollo 13 and some of the Blues Brothers.  I really wanted a cheeseburger today, as I have not had one since coming here, and it was the Fourth, however, instead I had jam, Nutella and salami and gouda sandwiches.  Not bad, but not a cheeseburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment